Attracting, developing and retaining talent is of increasing concern to our industry. Military veterans represent a strong talent pool of highly motivated, employees who possess many valuable skills and experience required by our industry, especially when it comes to various technician level positions.
SEMI has made it a priority to help connect the constituencies through the SEMI WorksTM portal and certifications, information to our members on how to attract Veterans, and regular communications to both communities.
What is SEMI doing?
Building recognition that military veterans represent a strong talent pool of highly motivated, employees who possess many valuable skills and experience required by our industry, especially when it comes to various technician level positions.
Directing Veterans to our member companies to learn more about specific opportunities in their region or field.
Connecting Vets & Jobs
Operating a “Vet Connect” outreach program in which returning service members and veterans will be encouraged to go to SEMI’s website to learn about our industry and the careers that it offers.
Encouraging members to establish veteran-friendly landing pages on their website that will more effectively connect them to this valuable and needed talent pool.
What does a Veteran-friendly website look like?
- Job openings, especially maintenance and operator technicians, logistics, HVAC, and positions which are aligned with the vast majority of those who have served.
- Training/apprenticeship programs that would help these job seekers leverage existing knowledge and experience to expedite the learning process and succeed.
- Programs that help defray the costs of learning/education.
- How to learn more about the company and potential career opportunities.
- Any programs designed to leverage existing veteran’s benefits.
- A simple 1-2-3 for next steps if interested.
The items above represent a simple list of and is not intended to be all inclusive. But it provides a start toward being more efficient and effective way to connect though a consistent process, look and feel.