450 mm Standards at SEMI
450 mm Standards at SEMI
For over 40 years, the SEMI International Standards Program has been well-known for developing global consensus standards for the semiconductor industry. The first 2-inch silicon wafer standard, SEMI M1, was published in the early 1970s. As technology progressed, so did SEMI Standards. In 2008, SEMI published the first standard for the 450 mm generation.
Committees are now active in China, Europe, Korea, Japan, North America, and Taiwan, and there are also active participants in India, Singapore, and many other countries. Over 4,600 technical experts from leading companies in all segments of the semiconductor supply chain are currently involved in developing SEMI Standards.
Industry Participation is Critical
Progress is being made on the possible transition to 450 mm wafers and the development of corresponding standards is an essential industry activity to enable this future direction. The SEMI Standards Program allows companies to collaborate in a precompetitive environment to define standards that encourage technical innovation and market growth.
Companies that actively participate in the development process stay current with industry technology trends, and more importantly, influence the direction of the industry. Join us in this important effort. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Or, contact a SEMI Standards Staff member for more details.
Published 450 mm Standards
Assembly & Packaging
- SEMI G88-0211- Specification for Tape Frame for 450 mm Wafer
- SEMI G92-1113 - Specification for Tape Frame Cassette for 450 mm Wafer
- SEMI G95-0613 - Mechanical Interface Specification for 450 mm Load Port for Tape Frame Cassettes in the Backend Process
Physical Interfaces & Carriers
- SEMI E83-0413 - Specification for PGV Mechanical Docking Flange
- SEMI E154-0713 - Mechanical Interface Specification for 450 mm Load Port
- SEMI E156-0710 - Mechanical Specification for 450 mm AMHS Stocker to Transport Interface
- SEMI E158-0912 - Mechanical Specification for Fab Wafer Carrier Used to Transport and Store 450 mm Wafers (450 FOUP) and Kinematic Coupling
- SEMI E159-0912 - Mechanical Specification for Multi Application Carrier (MAC) Used to Transport and Ship 450 mm Wafers
- SEMI E162-0912 - Mechanical Interface Specification for 450 mm Front-Opening Shipping Box Load Port
- SEMI E166-0513 - Specification for 450 mm Cluster Module Interface: Mechanical Interface and Transport Standard
- SEMI AUX023-1113 - Overview Guide to SEMI Standard for 450 mm Wafers (PDF)
- SEMI M1-0414 - Specification for Polished Single Crystal Silicon Wafers
- SEMI M49-0613 - Guide for Specifying Geometry Measurement Systems for Silicon Wafers for the 130 nm to 16 nm Technology Generations
- SEMI M52-0214 - Guide for Specifying Scanning Surface Inspection Systems for Silicon Wafers for the 130 nm to 11 nm Technology Generations
- SEMI M62-0413 - Specifications for Silicon Epitaxial Wafers
- SEMI M73-1013 - Test Methods for Extracting Relevant Characteristics from Measured Wafer Edge Profiles
- SEMI M74-1108 (Reapproved 0413) - Specification for 450 mm Diameter Mechanical Handling Polished Wafers
- SEMI M76-0710 - Specification for Developmental 450 mm Diameter Polished Single Crystal Silicon Wafers
- SEMI M80-0812 - Mechanical Specification for Front-Opening Shipping Box Used to Transport and Ship 450 mm Wafers
- Doc. 5636, Revision of SEMI G92-1113, Specification for Tape Frame Cassette for 450mm Wafer
- Doc. 5069A, Specification for 450 mm Wafer Shipping System
- Doc. 5464, Revision to SEMI E154-0612, Mechanical Interface Specification for 450 mm Load Port
- Doc. 5524, Line item revisions to SEMI E156-0710, Mechanical Specification for 450 mm AMHS Stocker to Transport Interface
- Doc. 5626, Line Item Revision to SEMI E154-0713, Mechanical Interface Specification for 450 mm Load Port AND to SEMI E166-0513, Specification for 450 mm Cluster Module Interface: Mechanical Interface and Transport Standard (for addition of EFEM Pocket)
- Doc. 5628, Line Item Revisions to SEMI E158-0912, Mechanical Specification for Fab Wafer Carrier Used to Transport and Store 450 mm Wafers (450 FOUP) and Kinematic Coupling And SEMI E159-0912, Mechanical Specification for Multi Application Carrier (MAC) Used to Transport and Ship 450 mm Wafers
- Doc. 5632, Specification for Signal Tower for 450 mm AMHS
- Doc. 5676, Line Item Revisions to SEMI E83-0413, Specification for PGV Mechanical Docking Flange
- Doc. 5690, Revision to SEMI AUX023-1113, Overview Guide to SEMI Standards for 450 mm Wafers
- Doc. 4812, Guide for Flatness Measurement on 450 mm Wafers
- Doc. 5070A, Revision to SEMI M76-0710, Specification for Developmental 450 mm Diameter Polished Single Crystal Silicon Wafers [Re: Wafer Edge Design]
- Doc. 5071, Revision to SEMI M76-0710, Specification for Developmental 450 mm Diameter Polished Single Crystal Silicon Wafers [Re: Back Surface Contamination and Defect Requirements]
- Doc. 5542, Line Items Revision to SEMI M62-0413, Specifications for Silicon Epitaxial Wafers (Re: Change nanotopography value to be consistent with SEMI M1)
- Doc. 5604, Line Item Revision of SEMI M1-1013, Specifications for Polished Single Crystal Silicon Wafers and SEMI M20-1110 Practice for Establishing a Wafer Coordinate System (Re: Addition of 450 mm Notchless Wafer)
- Doc. 5654, Revision of SEMI M49-0613, Guide for Specifying Geometry Measurements Systems for Silicon Wafers for the 130 nm to 16 nm Technology Generations (Re: Edge exclusion reduction from 2mm to 1.5mm at 16nm technology generation)
- Doc. 5655, Revision of SEMI M1-1013, Specifications for Polished Single Crystal Silicon Wafers (Re: Update 450 mm wafers edge exclusion)
Active Task Forces
This committee develops specifications to enhance the manufacturing capability of the semiconductor industry as it relates to the packaging and assembly of the semiconductor chip, including the materials, piece parts, and interconnection schemes, and unique packaging assemblies that provide for the communication link between the semiconductor chip and the next level of integration. This committee also discusses total infrastructure for Chip to Final Set system and processes such as Testing and Design Software, Transportation Tools, Reliability and Traceability issues, EHS issues, Inspection methods, etc.
- Japan 450 mm Assembly and Test Die Prep TF
This committee develops international standards fulfilling the requirements for commercial silicon wafers. Silicon Wafer Committee standardization includes specifications and guides for silicon wafers, test methods for silicon wafer quality and geometry, shipping box related topics, wafer ID related topics, and business related topics to support smooth communication between silicon suppliers and customers.
- International 450 mm Wafer TF
- International Advanced Surface Inspection TF
- International Advanced Wafer Geometry TF
- International Annealed Wafer TF
- International Epitaxial Wafer TF
- International Polished Wafer TF
Physical Interfaces & Carriers
This committee develops specifications to enhance the manufacturing capability of the semiconductor industry, specifically addressing mechanical, electrical, and special equipment specifications; and material movement integration, including substrate support and containment structures.
- 450 mm Automated Material Handling System (AMHS) TF
- International 450 mm Physical Interfaces & Carriers TF
- International 450 mm Shipping Box TF
- International Process Module Physical Interface TF
- North America 450 mm Assembly Test Die Prep TF
- North America 450 mm Shipping Box TF
Additional info on 450 Standards: http://www.semi.
- Market Info
- Events & Tradeshows