New 450mm Tape Frame Standard Published
Hirofumi Kanno, Senior Standards Coordinator, SEMI Japan
Tape frames have been used in the semiconductor packaging process for wafer cutting and die separation since the days of 125mm wafers. Wafer tape is an adhesive plastic tape which retains the wafer during wafer dicing, and is supported by the tape frame, which is used in the wafer dicing process and die-bonding, as well as for shipping, handling, and storage.
In the era of 200mm wafers, device makers and dicing saw makers had own tape frames, and equipment manufacturers were forced to adapt their products for multiple differing specifications. In order to eliminate this inefficiency for larger wafer sizes, the industry developed SEMI G74, Specification for Tape Frame for 300 mm Wafers. This standard was followed by SEMI G77, Specification for Frame Cassette for 300 mm Wafers, and SEMI G82, Specification for 300 mm Load Port for Frame Cassettes in Backend Process. While G74 was developed assuming metal tape frames, SEMI G87, Specification for Plastic Tape Frame for 300 mm Wafer, was developed for the purpose of weight savings.
Recently, the Packaging Committee developed the tape frame for wafers to be used in 450mm processing. This standard, SEMI G88, Specification for Tape Frame for 450 mm Wafer, was published in February 2011. The committee is now developing standards for the frame cassette (Document 4814, Specification for Frame Cassette for 450 mm Wafer) and the load port interface between the frame cassette and processing equipment (Document 4965, Specifications for Load Port for 450mm Frame Carrier).
Packaging Standards for 300mm and 450mm wafers
- G74 - Specification for tape frame for 300mm wafers
- G77 - Specification for frame cassette for 300mm wafers
- G82 - Provisional specification for 300mm load port for frame cassette in backend process
- G87 - Specification for plastic tape frame for 300mm wafer
- G88 - Specification for tape frame for 450mm wafer
- Document 4814 - Specification for Frame Cassette for 450 mm Wafer
- Document 4965 - Specifications for Load Port for 450mm Frame Carrier