By Art Paredes, senior director, Global Expositions, SEMI
More than 6,700 visitors and over 200 exhibitors convened at SEMICON Southeast Asia 2017, April 25 – 27 in Penang, Malaysia to discuss the latest market trends, technologies and opportunities across the electronics manufacturing supply chain. With 15 percent growth compared to 2016, this year’s SEMICON Southeast Asia, the largest microelectronics event in the region, was the largest SEMICON Southeast Asia show ever in Penang!
“We are extremely pleased with this year’s SEMICON SEA’s results and grateful for all our exhibitors, visitors and sponsors who made this event successful. We also appreciate the partnership and ongoing support of InvestPenang and the Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA); and we thank the Southeast Asia Regional Advisory Board, led by its chairman Mr. K.C. Ang, senior VP and GM of GLOBALFOUNDRIES in Singapore,” stated Kai Fai Ng, president of SEMI Southeast Asia.
The growth of SEMICON Southeast Asia can be attributed to the rapid expansion of Malaysia’s Electrical & Electronics (E&E) market, which contributes 44 percent of the total manufacturing output and 26 percent of the total GDP of the region. Additionally, the E&E sector creates over 2.1 million jobs throughout Southeast Asia – and is forecasted to generate approximately U.S. $382 billion in exports in 2018.
Key highlights of SEMICON Southeast 2017 included:
- Robust exhibition with 305 booths and 213 exhibitors, including the new Failure Analysis and Future Electronics Manufacturing pavilions
- Opening Ceremony with The Honorable Dato’ Sri Mustapa Mohamed, Malaysia Minister of International Trade & Industry and Mr. Ajit Manocha, SEMI president and CEO
- Excellent keynote presentations from NXP, HTC, Kulicke & Soffa, and ViTrox
- Outstanding technical and business forums, including the Advanced Packaging Forum, Future Technology Forum, IC Failure Analysis Forum, Future Electronics Manufacturing Forum, and Product & System Test Forum, and the Market Briefing Forum
- VIP Networking Reception at the historic Fort Cornwallis (sponsored by InvestPenang)
- Futura-X @ World of IoT, which showcased 14 start-up companies
- First-ever Vietnam Investment Seminar, featuring presentations from Ho Chi Minh City Semiconductor Industry Association (HSIA), ICDREC and Microlux
SEMICON Southeast Asia 2018 in Kuala Lumpur
Next year’s SEMICON Southeast Asia will take place May 8 – 10 at the new Malaysia International Trade & Exhibition Centre (MITEC) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The move to Kuala Lumpur will attract increased participation from key electronics clusters within Malaysia’s key Central and Southern regions ─ and will provide greater access to the entire electronics manufacturing downstream supply chain. Mark your calendar to attend SEMICON Southeast Asia 2018!
For additional information regarding SEMICON Southeast Asia, please visit www.semiconsea.org or key contact Ms. Shannen Koh at firstname.lastname@example.org (SEMI Southeast Asia, Singapore).
May 2, 2017