December 2014: Global PV Standards Update
By Kevin Nguyen, SEMI Standards
SEMI PV Standards committees provide a forum for PV equipment, material, cell and module makers to develop standards that reduce PV manufacturing costs. These committees have now published 54 SEMI PV manufacturing standards. To purchase SEMI PV manufacturing standards, visit the SEMI website or subscribe to SEMIViews and get online access to all SEMI Standards.
The North America PV Materials Standards committee recently met in early November 5 at the SEMI HQ in San Jose, CA and authorized three new activities.
- Doc. 5801, Guide for the Planning, Implementing and Analyzing Data from a Round Robin Used to Verify a Test Method
- Doc. 5802, Test Method for In-line, Noncontact Measurement of Saw Marks on Silicon Wafers for PV Applications Using Laser Position Sensor
- Doc. 5803, Test Method for In-line, Noncontact Measurement of Thickness and Thickness Variation of Silicon Wafers for PV Applications Using Laser Position Sensor
The China Committee approved five Standards (see below), driven by Yingli Solar, Trina Solar, Suntech, GCL Poly and others, during their meeting on September 12 in Dalian, China.
These documents were subsequently approved by the International Standards Audits and Reviews Subcommittee and are currently being processed for publication. Their next meeting will be in Changsha, Huna, China on December 12. More activities will be proposed.
- Doc. 5563A, Specification for Framing Tape for PV Modules
- Doc. 5660, Specification for Ultra-thin Glasses Used for Photovoltaic Modules
- Doc. 5426A, Specification for Aluminum Paste, Used in Back Surface Field of Crystalline Silicon Solar Cells
- Doc. 5476B, Test Method for Determination of Total Carbon Content in Silicon Powder by Infrared Absorption After Combustion in an Induction Furnace
- Doc. 5644, Terminology for Back Contact PV Cell and Module
Also see “Standards Enhance Cohesiveness for China’s Photovoltaic Manufacturing Industry” in this issue of the Grid.
The Japan Committee conducted its meeting on September 11 in Tokyo and approved Doc. 5532. This document is also being processed for an official PV Standards designation. The next meeting will be in December 10 at the SEMI Japan office in Tokyo.
- Doc. 5532, Test Method for Measurement of Cracks in PV Silicon Wafers in PV Modules by Laser Scanning
The Taiwan Committee also approved two new Standards at their October 3 meeting at the ITRI office in Hsinchu. These two documents are being processed for publication. When completed, SEMI will now have a total of 62 PV Standards.
- Doc. 5431, Test Method for Performance Criteria of Photovoltaic (PV) Cell and Module Package
- Doc. 5597, Test Method for Current-Voltage (I-V) Performance Measurement of Organic Photovoltaic (OPV) and Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC)
These ballots are also expected to move forward for approval since the global PV committee members reviewed and voted affirmatively.
SEMI PV Standards development continues to be a global effort and each global manufacturing region has contributed. Nearly 600 PV industry experts in 22 task forces have developed and published PV Standards covering equipment, materials used in crystalline cell, module and thin film manufacturing. There are over 40 Standards activities underway.
To get involved, please contact your local Standards staff or Kevin Nguyen at email@example.com. For more information on Standards activities or upcoming meetings, please visit: www.semi.org/standards.
December 15, 2014