SEMI Publishes New S29 Safety Guideline for Fluorinated Greenhouse Gas (F-GHG) Emission Characterization and Reduction
By Naoko Tejima, SEMI Japan
SEMI S29: Guide for Fluorinated Greenhouse Gas (F-GHG) Emission Characterization and Reduction was published in July 2012. Japan Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS) Technical Committee members, Shigehito Ibuka of HORIBA and Minoru Kagino of Toshiba, led the GHG Emission Characterization Task Force to complete the development of the SEMI S29 Safety Guideline.
Background of SEMI S29 Development
As concerns increase over climate change, the demand for GHG emission reduction is growing in lockstep. Therefore, the SEMI F-GHG Emission Characterization TF developed the SEMI S29 Safety Guideline in response to industry needs:
- According to the 2006 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Guidelines, default values for calculating efficiency of an abatement system are usable under a condition that the performance of the system is maintained.
- The Japanese Law Concerning the Promotion of Measures to Cope with Global Warming requires reporting of GHG emissions to an emission generator over a certain amount. According to Ministry of the Environment, a calculation method or an emission coefficient other than one shown on the legal instrument is usable, if data are based upon actual measurement of GHG.
- The United States (US) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) introduced to the electronics industry a draft “Protocol for Measuring Destruction or Removal Efficiency (DRE) of Fluorinated Greenhouse Gas Abatement Equipment in Electronics Manufacturing” through the 15th ISESH (International Semiconductor Environment Safety and Health) and other venues.
- The US Government concluded to require reporting of GHG emission over 25000 CO2 equivalent ton/ year from 2011, to entities having sites in the USA.
- The Korean “Low Carbon Green Growth Law,” which became mandatory in 2010, requires total GHG emission reduction.
- Taiwan is now discussing whether it should enact a GHG tax system.
- Accurate emission characterization is strongly expected.
- For the manufacturing equipment or abatement tool suppliers who deliver their products globally, such SEMI Safety Guideline would help enable them to conduct their businesses smoothly.
Purpose of SEMI S29
- Provide guidance to characterize fluorinated greenhouse gas (F-GHG) emitted from manufacturing equipment (ME).
- Provide guidance to characterize F-GHG destruction or removal efficiency (DRE) of an abatement tool.
- Addresses continuous improvement planning for emission reduction on ME or an abatement tool.
Greenhouse gases (GHGs) covered by SEMI S29 include: CF4, C2F6, C3F8, c-C4F8, CHF3, SF6 and NF3 , other F-GHGs, F-GHG emission characterization from ME and an abatement tool, characterization of consumption, residues, byproducts or recombination of F-GHG through chemical reaction in ME. This document is also applicable to abatement tool specification for F-GHG DRE (destruction or removal efficiency).
Participation in SEMI Standards
If you have any questions regarding SEMI Standards participation or would like to join the Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS) Technical Committee, please contact Naoko Tejima at email@example.com.
SEMI Standards Watch, December 2012