Materials Companies Drive Initiatives through the CGMG Special Interest Group
The Chemical and Gas Manufacturers Group (CGMG) represents SEMI members who produce, package and/or distribute chemicals, gases and enabling equipment used in the manufacture of microelectronics. A diversity of material segments are represented in this special interest group.
Recently the CGMG has focused on informing the materials community about the challenges microelectronics (semiconductor, PV, LED, FPD, Plastic Electronics, etc.) manufacturing present via the introduction of new materials. Within the past year, the CGMG, in conjunction with SEMI, has sponsored:
- A symposium at SEMICON West 2011 on “The Demands for Materials for Semiconductor Devices for the Next Decade”— click here to access the presentations from the symposium.
- A SEMI webinar on “The Threat to Rare Earths, Precious Metals and Minerals and the Electronic Materials Supply Chain” (hosted by Lita Shon-Roy, Techcet)— click here to find the link to the webinar recording and presentation slides (Note: CGMG webinar near bottom lift-hand side; also you must be a SEMI member to access)
- The Strategic Materials session at this year’s SEMI Industry Strategy Symposium (ISS) in January in Half Moon Bay, California— session included presentations from Mark Thirsk, managing partner at Linx Consulting; Tim Hendry, VP TMG and director Fab Materials Operation at Intel; and David Lazovsky, founder, president and CEO of Intermolecular. For access to ISS 2012 presentation slides, click here (note you must be a SEMI member to access)
In the next few months, the committee will:
- Host a SEMICON West 2012 TechXPOT session entitled “A Look to the Next Generation of Electronic Materials” on Tuesday, July 10 from 1:30-3:30pm in South Hall at Moscone Center in San Francisco, California
- Announce a “new” two-day conference— re-establishing the Strategic Materials Conference as a wider forum for future material challenges
Input Requested on Sustainability
A new effort just getting underway within the CGMG is sustainability and what it means to the membership. This effort is just kicking-off and we welcome input from material suppliers on this emerging trend within our industry.
Goals of the CGMG; Meetings Schedule
The CGMG facilitates collective efforts on issues related to the chemical and gas industry that the members feel are more effectively or efficiently undertaken as an industry association than as individual companies. These include:
- A voice to legislation and lobbying efforts concerning the microelectronics industry
- Promoting customer awareness of the technical, regulatory, and business issues facing the chemical/gas suppliers in meeting the microelectronics industry expectations in product quality and value
- Planning and/or sponsoring activities for SEMI exhibits, seminars and other events connected with the industry.
- A forum to discuss safety and environmental issues.
In addition to bimonthly teleconferences, the CGMG meets twice each year at ISS-US and SEMICON West. Networking is always critical for building relationships amongst suppliers and the customers we serve. As such, the CGMG helps facilitate through the various activities it sponsors.
Interested in the CGMG?
Going forward, we will leverage the monthly SEMI electronic newsletter Global Update to keep readers abreast of the CGMG and upcoming sponsored activities.
May 1, 2012