Global FPD Conference Tackles Key Issues in a Competitive Landscape
TOKYO, Japan – February 23, 2011 – The 2011 SEMI Global Flat Panel Display Partners Conference (GFPC) will be held April 10-12 in Awaji Island, Hyogo, Japan. CEOs, presidents and senior-level executives attend GFPC which focuses on the manufacturing supply chain. It is the world’s largest FPD gathering of its kind— providing valuable networking opportunities for executives within the FPD industry. Keynote speakers include executives from Samsung Electronics and Sharp.
The global display market is undergoing significant shifts in demand, supply and technology. The dramatic emergence of tablet computers in 2010 has introduced a new set of customers and customer requirements to the display market. LED-backlit models are expected to account for the majority of LCD TV shipments worldwide as manufacturers continue to transition away from fluorescent backlights. Price competition has compelled new technology and capital investment strategies. E-paper and flexible displays are projected to be a $10 billion market by the end of the decade with applications such as e-books, e-newspapers, mobile displays, USB drives, shelf labels and wearable displays all proving viable. The OLED display market will achieve compound annual growth rates of 30-50 percent driven by the adoption of active matrix OLED (AMOLED) displays for mobile phones and portable media players, while the expansion of AMOLED manufacturing capacity will enable production of larger displays for mini-notebook and notebook PCs, desktop monitors and larger TVs. All these topics will be addressed at GFPC.
GFPC includes an impressive line-up of keynote addresses from global executives, focusing on a range of topics including:
- “Smart Society and Smart Displays” by Y.W. Lee, Samsung Electronics
- “Future Prospects of the Display Industry” by Shigeaki Mizushima, Sharp
- “Next Generation Light Source Technology” by Yasufumi Fujiwara, Osaka University
- “Outlook for Smart Grid” by Kazuo Iwano, IBM Japan
- “Present Status and Future Prospects of the Smart Eco House” by Hisashi Kodama, Panasonic
GFPC 2011 will feature a number of executive panel discussions including:
- Mobile Computing: Moderator Naoki Asami (Nikkei Business Publications) with panelists from Aplix of America, Dell, KDDI, and Samsung Electronics
- Next Generation Displays (OLED TVs, Flexible Displays, 3D): Moderator Hiroaki Kitahara (Tech & Biz) with panelists from Hitachi, Samsung Mobile Display, and Sony
- Next Generation FPD Business Model and Technology Drivers: Moderator Jun H. Souk (Samsung Electronics) with panelists from BOE Technology Group, DisplaySearch, Infovision Optoelectronics, LG Display, and Panasonic
In addition to the panel discussions, the conference will also offer a number of break-out sessions, including an executive round table focusing on the topics of Sustainability, Next Evolution, and Open Innovation.
GFPC is sponsored by the world’s leading FPD technology-related associations and consortia including: 3D Consortium, 3D@Home Consortium, FlexTech Alliance, Korea Display Industry Association (KDIA), Korea Information Display Society (KIDS), LCD TV Association, Taiwan TFT LCD Association (TTLA), Nikkei Business Publications, and the Semiconductor Equipment Association of Japan (SEAJ).
SEMI is the global industry association serving the manufacturing supply chains for the microelectronic, display and photovoltaic industries. SEMI member companies are the engine of the future, enabling smarter, faster and more economical products that improve our lives. Since 1970, SEMI has been committed to helping members grow more profitably, create new markets and meet common industry challenges. SEMI maintains offices in Beijing, Bengaluru, Berlin, Brussels, Grenoble, Hsinchu, Moscow, San Jose, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tokyo, and Washington, D.C. For more information, visit www.semi.org.
San Jose, California
# # #
- Market Info
- Events & Tradeshows