U.S. DOE Solid-State Lighting Manufacturing Workshop
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) is hosting a second Solid State Lighting (SSL) Manufacturing Workshop to pick up where the inaugural one in April left off. This SSL workshop (June 24–25) in Vancouver, Washington will chart the course for SSL manufacturing in the United States. At the April workshop, nearly 200 attendees worked together to identify critical issues and roadblocks on the path to lower cost, higher quality SSL products.
A key output of the April workshop is a draft SSL Manufacturing Roadmap, intended to guide future SSL manufacturing development. In Vancouver, attendees will be asked to provide feedback on the draft roadmap, which will lead to a published version that represents industry consensus on the expected evolution of SSL manufacturing, best practices, and opportunities for collaboration. Input from SEMI members will be extremely valuable in this process. Please consider attending and letting your voice be heard.
The published roadmap will be updated on a regular basis to reflect industry growth and new developments. It is anticipated that the roadmap exercise will identify additional R&D needs which might be carried out through the existing DOE SSL Core Technology Research and Product Development program areas, or under new funding directed specifically to manufacturing issues. The roadmap and industry input will guide planning for a DOE SSL manufacturing initiative designed to:
- Reduce the cost of LED products to competitive levels
- Ensure high product quality and consistent performance
- Accelerate introduction of organic LED products
- Encourage and strengthen U.S. manufacturing of SSL products
Who Should Attend
The workshop is important for lighting industry decision makers, chip makers, fixture manufacturers, component manufacturers, product development managers, manufacturing managers, universities, and national laboratories.
The Wednesday (June 24) agenda includes:
- Welcome/Fairfax Workshop Recap
- Competition and Cooperation
- Systems Approach to Manufacturing
- SSL Manufacturing Roadmap
- OLED Track: Introduction to OLED Track; Vacuum Processing Panel and Discussion; Solution Processing for Lighting; Solution Processing Panel and Discussion; OLED Breakout Session;
- LED Track: Introduction to LED Track; Integrated Light Engines; Power Supply and Driver Issues; Manufacturing Equipment Optimization; Inspection and Testing; LED Breakout Sessions
The Thursday (June 25) agenda includes:
- Panel on “U.S. Manufacturing in a Global Lighting Industry”
- OLED Track: Substrates and Encapsulation; Substrates & Encapsulation Panel and Discussion; OLED Breakout Session 2
- LED Track: Sapphire Substrates Roadmap; Free-Standing GaN Substrates; LED Breakout Session 2
- Plenery Session: Standards for SSL Panel; Recommendations and Summaries from each group and Discussion; Wrap-Up and Adjourn
For more DOE SSL Workshop information and registration, please visit http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/ssl/vancouver09.html
At SEMICON West 2009, the Department of Energy will update the semiconductor supply chain on the progress and next steps for this manufacturing initiative as part of the Extreme Electronics SSL session on the key issue of improving LED manufacturing yields. For more information on this and other emerging markets, please visit the SEMICON West Extreme Electronics website or visit the SEMI website (http://www.semi.org/en/IndustrySegments/EmergingMarkets). Or join the networking site SemiNeedle (free) and network with other professionals on the “Extreme SSL” site.
June 2, 2009